Sunday, January 28, 2007

University of Scouting

I went through basic training this past Saturday at the University of Scouting in Jacksonville. I rode up with the Bear Den Leaders and the Cubmaster. What a time we had! We did kind of act like school girls in the Den Leader's class but we learned a lot! I especially enjoyed the Scouting Science class. This was taught by a molecular biologist so we got scientific theories on why each experiment works and why slime forms when you add the needed ingredients. I like Science so this class was awesome. The only downfall of the class was the few people who thought it was necessary to make sexual remarks whenever they saw an opportunity. Unfortunately, I was sitting next to one of them. The teacher took this fairly well and just laughed it off and continued the lesson. I learned a lot though; and feel more confident about my Den Meeting preparations. I also earned a certificate from the University of Scouting and my "Trained" badge. I also learned about the preparedness award available for my wolf scouts and I've decided to put that into our curriculum. To think, the "Leaders" in our pack said we've been doing a good job so far. NOW, I have training! Imagine how well we will do now?!?

3 comments:

DT said...

Does this mean that you are going to Wood Badge in February and March? I got invited to a scout thing this past Saturday (don't know if it is the same as the one you went to--did they do stuff for Boy Scout leaders too?), but I wasn't able to make it. They said it was something we have to take before going to "Wood Badge." The Young Men's President, the 2nd Councelor and I all got called as Assistant Scoutmaster (or is that, like Dwight K. Shrute, Assistant to the Scoutmaster), so I think we are all supposed to get trained now.

As far as typing versus other hand-writing, my wrists hurt sometimes when I type too much, even when I try to keep in mind all the ergonomic stuff like wrist position, etc.

desacad said...

I remember my years as a cub scout and 4-H mom with great fondness. I never knew who had more fun, me or the boys. With Darius, probably me. With Orion, a tie. Dorian would have rather been doing his own thing. But still, it was a blessing in my life as I learned a lot of things I had never had the opportunity to learn.

Cubscoutmom said...

yes! It was the training needed for whatever you are missing pretty much. The training is for cub scouts, boy scouts, and venturer boys. There are a number of different courses you can take. There were over 400 people there when they only expected about 300. It was very crowded but such a good turn out.